Powered by Blogger.

5K Training or 5K Complaining

 Monday, June 11, 2012

I will let you decide. As I am sure you already know, I have a race coming up this weekend. The Branford Road Race is actually longer than a 5K; it is 5M long. My goal for this race as it is my first 5M is to finish strong. What I mean by finish strong is to run the whole thing without walking. This typically would not be a problem, however, but I have developed some sort of pain in my right heel. It is difficult to describe, but I feel pressure and discomfort when I extend my foot.  I am not sure if it is something I can work through or if it is something I need to address.

I googled my condition (as I do for most things) and I have come across a common heel/foot injury that is associated with running. One of which is called Plantar fasciitis. This is inflammation of tissue on the bottom of the foot. It seems to be pretty common with long distance runners and many people use heel inserts to alleviate the pain when walking/running. Another injury which I have found to match a little bit more closely to my symptoms. It is Achilles Tendinitis which is the inflammation of the Achilles tendon. I believe that I have a mild case as I do not feel it affecting my daily life too much. There seems to be several simple home remedies for this problem and some stretches I can implement into my exercise routine.


My goal is to continue my training as planned and to complete the Branford Road Race. I am hoping with the proper precautions and stretching I will be able to work through the Achilles Tendinitis.

Wish me luck!!

xoxo
Ashley

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP